Sunday, May 10, 2009

10 easy ways to increase your gas mileage

Yesterday, I stopped to fill up at a local BP station where I shelled out $3.99 a gallon to fill ‘er up. Just down the road, the same grade was over $4.00. I drive an older model Ford Taurus, and it costs about $70.00 for a full tank. In my house, we have a full size Chevrolet Silverado which cost approximately $100.00 to fill and gets a measly 15 mpg in the city. My daughter’s car, a Chevy Malibu, probably gets the best gas mileage out of the three; she can go over 230 miles on a full tank. Not great, but better than the Silverado and the Taurus.

It seems like every day gas prices are going up with no real reason for the increase, and while there are quite a few fuel-efficient vehicles on the market, not everyone can afford to buy a new Toyota Prius or a fancy Hybrid. I did some research and found the Automotive Oil Change Association recently offered up a few recommendations to help us get the most out of our mileage. If you can’t car-pool or take mass transit, the AOCA offers the following tips and tricks:

http://www.carsforgirls.com/index.php/10-tips-to-increase-gas-mileage/

No comments: